The Arches

The original interior arches of the church were removed in 1756, being placed at the top of the adjacent hill as a folly where they still stand.

The Shobdon Arches consist of a central chancel arch and two Norman doorways. The fine, though weathered, carvings are the work of the Herefordshire School of sculpture, which dominated in the western counties during the mid 12th Century. Tympana were once probably part of the original doorways.